Honey-baked ham is a culinary delight that tantalizes the taste buds with its tender, juicy meat, and sweet, caramelized glaze. But the experience of enjoying honey baked ham can be further elevated by pairing it with complementary flavors and textures. In this article, we will explore a range of delectable accompaniments that enhance the taste and create a symphony of flavors when served alongside honey baked ham. From classic favorites to more adventurous options, get ready to embark on a feast for the senses.
- Scalloped Potatoes: A classic side dish that complements honey baked ham perfectly is scalloped potatoes. The creamy and cheesy layers of tender potatoes provide a rich and comforting contrast to the sweetness of the ham. The combination of flavors and textures is pure bliss, making this pairing a perennial favorite.
- Green Bean Casserole: Another classic pairing for honey baked ham is green bean casserole. The crisp-tender green beans, creamy mushroom sauce, and crispy fried onions create a harmonious balance of flavors and textures. The savory umami notes of the casserole beautifully offset the sweetness of the ham, resulting in a delectable combination.
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon: For those seeking a more adventurous pairing, roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon are an excellent choice. The smoky and salty notes of the bacon complement the sweetness of the honey baked ham, while the roasted Brussels sprouts add a delightful crispiness. This pairing offers a wonderful contrast of flavors and textures that will surprise and delight your taste buds.
- Sweet Potato Casserole: Sweet potato casserole is a crowd-pleasing side dish that harmonizes beautifully with honey baked ham. The natural sweetness of the roasted sweet potatoes, combined with a buttery streusel topping, creates a luscious and indulgent accompaniment to the ham. The contrasting flavors and textures make this pairing a feast for both the taste buds and the senses.
- Citrus and Cranberry Salad: To add a refreshing and tangy element to your honey baked ham feast, consider serving a citrus and cranberry salad. The bright, vibrant flavors of citrus fruits like oranges, grapefruits, and mandarins complement the richness of the ham. The tartness of the cranberries adds a delightful contrast, creating a refreshing and palate-cleansing accompaniment.
- Dinner Rolls and Honey Butter: Don’t forget to include a basket of warm, fluffy dinner rolls and a dish of honey butter on your table. The combination of the soft, freshly baked rolls and the sweet and creamy honey butter adds another layer of indulgence to your honey baked ham meal. It’s the perfect way to round out the feast and ensure every bite is pure culinary bliss.
Pairing honey-baked ham with the right accompaniments can transform a delicious meal into an extraordinary culinary experience. Whether you prefer classic side dishes like scalloped potatoes and green bean casserole or are open to more adventurous pairings like roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon, the key is to find flavors and textures that complement and enhance the sweet and savory notes of the ham. So, next time you serve honey-baked ham, consider these perfect pairings to create a feast for the senses that will leave your guests craving for more.